Summary Of Results
This current research suggests that 37.4 million short tons of SBM was fed to animal agriculture during the 2019/20 soybean marketing year. A combined total of 3.2 million tons of soy hulls were fed to hogs, dairy, and beef cattle. Of the total 37.4 million short tons consumed, ranking from highest to lowest, consumers of SBM are:
- Broilers consumed 17.8 million tons (nearly forty-eight percent)
- Hogs consumed 7.2 million tons (over nineteen percent)
- Layers consumed 3.5 million tons (over nine percent)
- Dairy consumed 4.0 million tons (nearly eleven percent)
- Turkeys consumed 3.1 million tons (slightly more than eight percent)
- The rest of animal agriculture (beef cattle, companion animals, aquaculture, sheep and meat goats) round out the last five percent.
U.S. Total 2020 Soybean Meal Consumption
All figures in thousands of tons.
U.S. Economic Impact 2020
Animal agriculture continues to be an important driver of economic activity in the United States. Through purchases from and sales to many other industries, U.S. animal agriculture in turn has a large impact on the rest of the national and global economies. In the U.S. during 2020, animal agriculture’s support of the national economy included:
- $348.2 billion in economic output
- 2,306,818 jobs
- $74.8 billion in earnings
- $18.1 billion in income taxes
- $9.4 billion in the form of property taxes
Like nearly all other industries, U.S. animal agriculture did not escape the impacts of Covid-19 during 2020. Compared to 2010, U.S. animal agriculture In 2020, contributed $15.9 billion less in economic output, provided $3.3 billion less in household earnings by around and supported 93,716 fewer jobs.
U.S. Animal Units Overview 2020
Allow equal standards for all animals based on species, size, and manure produced. The AUs used in this study are based on the prevailing concept of an AU being one 1000 pound beef cow consuming an average of 2.6% of its body weight daily, however, daily consumption varies throughout the year. Other species are calculated as 0.1 AU per 100 pounds of body weight (e.g., a 450 pound sow =0.425 AU).